This tutorial will show you how to up the volume of songs in the Regalia. Some songs stay way too low, even when you replace them with a louder one.
Please note that I am not an audio expert. I simply watched a youtube video on how to up the volume of a song and applied it to the replacement process for the game.
If your game breaks then I am not held responsible. I am clearly stating that I am not an expert and never will claim to be. You are following this tutorial at your own risk!
What you’ll need:
- An audio editing software. I’ll be using Audacity.
- Some song(s) of your choice in either mp3 or wav format. I’ll be using MP3.
- Final Fantasy XV WINDOWS EDITION
- foobar2000 vgmstream plugin
- FFXV Radio Tuner
- I have the Steam version so I can’t guarantee this will work on the Origin or MS Store versions.
- All the Regalia’s music is located in [GAME LOCATION]\FINAL FANTASY XV\datas\sound\resources\20000music\jp.
To quote the author of FFXV Radio tuner:
Not all *.sab/*.mab files are compatible with Radio Tuner. You may receive error messages from the application itself or in-game audio may fail to play as expected. Use at your own risk!
In-game audio length is limited 18 minutes max. If the replacement track is longer, it will be cut off.
Before you can actually listen to any modified tracks, you must have unlocked them in-game. This can be achieved at many gas stations and other vendors throughout Eos who offer music albums for a small fee.
Here’s a list of what is what (Not a full list. Sorry.):
- bgm_justice = JUSTICE MONSTERS FIVE Soundtrack
- bgm_rayjack = KINGS KNIGHT Soundtrack
- bgm_terra_bons_03, bgm_terra_dor_02, bgm_terra_fftv_01 = TERRA BATTLE Soundtrack
- bgm_terra_wars_bgm = TERRA WARS Soundtrack
- bgm_epg = Episode Gladio Soundtrack
- bgm_epi = Episode Ignis Soundtrack
- bgm_epp = Episode Prompto Soundtrack
- bgm_kings = KINGSLGAIVE Soundtrack
- bgm_nox2_epa = Episode Ardyn (I THINK)
- bgm_tomb_raider = Tomb Raider Soundtrack
- bgm_original_brother_bgm = FFXV Brotherhood Anime Soundtrack
Some are pretty self explanatory.
Step 1: Choose which files your going to replace
You can use FFXV Radio Tuner to play the songs and find out which one you want to replace the most.
For the purpose of this tutorial, I’ll be replacing the Justice Monsters Five album, which would be the files bgm_justice_01.win.sab and so on.
FFXV Radio Tuner makes a backup of the file you are going to replace. It’ll have the extension .orig and will be located with the game files.
Since I’m only going to demonstrate one song, it’ll be bgm_justice_02.win.sab, as I already have the other ones replaced.
You can find out which song is which using foobar2000 and the vgmstream plugin. This will allow you to play the song in a regular audio player and not need to use FFXV Radio Tuner to find the song.
Step 2: Choose your song
For the purpose of this tutorial, I’ll be using the song Crazy by Aerosmith in MP3 format. You can get it on Spotify, rip from Youtube, a CD. Your choice.
Step 3: Download the tools
Download Audacity and FFXV Radio Tuner. Install Audacity in a location of your choice and extrac FFXV Radio Tuner to a location of your choice.
Install foobar2000 and the plugin.
Step 4: The audio editing
Open up Audacity then open the MP3 file you just downloaded, ripped etc. It should look something like this:
Now we want to increase the volume of the song. Notice that it’s already pretty loud but when you play it in the Regalia, it’s actually very very low.
- Click on the Selection Tool or (or F1).
- Go to Select > All (or CTRL+A).
You should now have everything selected:
With your track selected:
- Go to Effect > Amplify
- In the Amplification box, put in 6.0. This can be any value you desire. 6db just happend to work for me with this song.
- Make sure that Allow clipping is ticked, as this will allow you to go over the limit. If it isn’t ticked, Audacity won’t let you amplify the track. There are various reasons for this but I won’t dive into them. That’s too technical for the purpose of this tutorial.
You should have something like the gif below (click here for a larger version):
Now click File > Export > Export as MP3. Save your file wherever you want with the following settings:
- Bit Rate Mode: Preset
- Quality: Insane, 320kbps
- Variable Speed: Fast
When presented with the tag editor, just click OK. This will not impact our process (click here for a larger version):
Step 5: Replacing the game files
Now we come to the part we actually want: replacing the files. Open up FFXV Radio Tuner. It should look like this:
Notice that I highlighted only two boxes: Import and Replace. These are the only ones we are going to use.
- Select Import > Navigate to where the Regalia’s music is and select bgm_justice_02.win.sab. It’ll take a little while to load. Once it does, the file name should appear in front of the blue bar.
- Select Replace > Navigate to where you saved your MP3 file and select it. You’ll get a message saying it was successful.
Here’s a GIF showing what to do (click here for a larger version):
Your good to go! Test it in game and see if it’s the right amount of volume you want. Some songs might like 6dB. Others might not. Play around and find out!
Always restore the file before replacing again. Otherwise you will lose your original and will have to repair your game and that will take a long time, trust me. You can do so by clicking on the little R next to Replace.
Hope this helps!